Math 180 Syllabus 2019-2020
Freshman Algebra I
(413) 863-9561 ext. 239
After school help is offered every Tuesday & Thursday
Ninth and tenth grade students spend one period per day during their shop week in the Math 180 course. Math 180 is an online course taught through the ALEKS platform, designed to augment students’ core course in math and to prepare them for the math MCAS exam. Since Math 180 is a computerized course students can complete work any time after school. It is a Pass/Fail course that earns students 1.5 credit hours for the year.
Welcome to Math 180
Start by taking an initial diagnostic test. ALEKS figures out what you already know and creates a learning path to advance each student individually. You earn a weekly grade by spending time on the ALEKS platform and by completing problems organized into topics. You can work at your own pace and choose your work from the seven categories shown. Quizzes will also be given to provide practice in what you learn in your academic math class and to prepare you for the math MCAS.
Every week a progress report that shows overall progress in this course is sent home by email to all that apply.
It is important to keep track of your grade from week to week, guidelines follow:
- The ALEKS gradebook shows all individual assignments and scores, you can check it any time.
- Cumulative grades are transferred from ALEKS into Powerschool every Wednesday, you can check it any time.
- Parents are sent an email update every week that show a student’s progress through the course. A sample is shown above.
- Grades are shown as a percentage but the report card will show a P or F.
- You must maintain a 60% average in order to pass.
- Students that make good use of class time should be able to maintain an above average grade without doing any work outside of class. However deadlines for the week’s work are ALWAYS extended to 10:00PM Monday of the following week to cover circumstances of absences, sports, field trips, and shop projects.
For the latest class information, go to this site.